I am committed to operating my business in a sustainable and ethical way, and take my social responsibility seriously. I think socially responsible businesses are, in general, better businesses. They do better work, are more fun to work with, and trust increases. That’s why I’m pleased to share with you my own ethical statement.
Don’t buy me a coffee
You’ve maybe arrived on this page because I’ve helped you out with something technical and you want to buy me a coffee to say thanks. However, inspired by my friend and sometime co-developer Ross Wintle, I want to encourage you instead to make a donation to one of the charities listed below instead (both Austrian and UK charities listed).
I am generally fortunate enough to be able to buy myself coffee (or beer). However, there are many organisations which really do need support in order to keep doing great work in the community. If you think I have saved you time and/or money and would like to informally thank me, I would love it if you felt able to donate a £10 or so to them.
There’s no obligation at all to make a donation. But if you could, that’d be awesome! Maybe I’ll buy you a pint to say thank you some time…
Social engagement – charities
I donate a percentage (around 5-10%) of the profits from this business every year to charity. The main charity I support is a Refugee and Integration project in Vienna, which comes under the umbrella of Austrian Baptist Aid. They do really great work working with political asylum seekers and refugees in Vienna. Practical help includes accompanying asylum seekers to meetings with the government, German classes, literacy work and practical support with living arrangments. A lot of this is overseen by my good friend, the wonderful Cesar Sotomayor. You can find out more about this Refugee and Integration project on the Austrian Baptist Aid website (in German)
If you would also like to support this project, you can find details here:
Account name: Hilfsverein der Baptisten Österreichs
Easy Bank, Kto 200 109 24 546
IBAN: AT98 1420 0200 1092 4546
If you are an Austrian tax payer, this is a tax deductible donation. If you are based in the UK and would like to make a donation to a charity, the following causes are also close to my heart:
- Refuge – for women and children who are victims of domestic violence
- Shelter – the housing and homelessness charity
- Charis Foundation – a fantastic mental health counselling charity in Fife, Scotland who do great work. I cannot recommend them highly enough (their JustGiving page is available here)
Please remember to Gift Aid your donations where you can!
Finally, here are some other points which you might like to know about the way I try to do business:
- Part of my professionalism is to keep up-to-date with the latest developments in my field. Therefore I commit to keeping up to date with the latest trends so I am able to advise you properly.
- I will not knowingly engage in work where the aim or result is misleading, deceptive, or false by intent or substance.
- I love working with charities and often give them substantially reduced rates (head over to the contact page and get in touch!)
- I consider environmental, economic, and cultural implications of my work and endeavor to minimize the adverse impacts.
If you have any questions or comments about any of the information on this page, I would be happy to talk to you.